Sequoia’s Right: Just Make Sure You Know All of what they Said about Communications
But Sequoia also said some very interesting things about communications. According to GigaOm, Doug Leone made a number of key points:
• Go on the offensive and pound on your competitors’ shortcomings.
• Be aggressive with your messaging and be out there. In a downturn, aggressive PR and communications strategy is key.
This is certainly a version of the old adage: “He who wins in a down market wins.” Therefore, our advice is:
• Take the advice of your investors – most of whom are going to tell you to lengthen your runway as much as possible; and
• Seize the moment by capturing undefended ground during this downturn.
So how does a company use communications to do this?
• Be clear, articulate, and consistent about your differentiation;
• Be clear, articulate, and consistent about your benefits – near term and long term;
• Speak often to your key markets and influencers;
• Be specific and real. Help your customers and their influencers understand how you are better and the benefits you bring;
• Use the transparency of communications today to make sure this communications gets to all of your audiences.
• Don’t stop talking!
We know that you may be wondering how you can both extend your runway and increase your communications.
We intend to create a series of blog posts to address the issues enumerated above. But, if you want to discuss these, call us.
Labels: communications architecture, communications strategy, company-building, crisis communications, leadership, marketing, marketing communications, public relations, start up, start up communications